Pages

Sunday, April 17, 2016

My Five Favorite Books of All Time

Hello, all!

As this is my first post, I figured I should begin with the basics. This is a book blog, so why not tell you about the literature I like? The books I read are an important part of my life, and justly so, as I devote so much time to reading. 

And thus the list begins.

In no particular order, of course.

How can you expect me to decide?!?
  1. Les Misérables, by Victor Hugo: (Yes, I know, there is supposed to be an accent over the second "e", but I attempted, using many approaches, to add an accent, and none of them worked. Thanks, www.blogger.com!) This book, in its unabridged form, contains within its razor-thin pages the story of an ex-convict called Jean Valjean, his adopted daughter Cosette, Inspector Javert, and so many more. What I enjoyed most about this book was the struggle between Jean Valjean and Javert and how each of their characters developed over the course of the book. I would also recommend watching the musical and the movie. WARNING: This is a hefty read, at over 1,000 pages in its unabridged form, and is not meant for people with small attention spans, but is worth it. Fun Factoid: I happen to own 2 copies of this book. 4.5/5 Bookish Badges!                                                                                                                                                        
  2. Mistborn: The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson: This is the third book in the Mistborn series, and the final book of what I consider to be Mistborn's "Original trilogy", which consists of Mistborn, Mistborn: The Well of Ascension, and Mistborn: The Hero of Ages. The trilogy follows the story of Vin, a young Skaa girl who is thrust into a world of politics, intrigue, mystery, and magic when her powers are discovered by a fellow Mistborn. The vivid world created by Sanderson envelops the reader and leaves them wishing for more (Surprise! There's more!).  5/5 Bookish Badges!                                                         
  3. The Stand, by Stephen King: The Stand is a mountainous piece of writing, even in its abridged form. When a terrible disease escapes a government facility, wiping out 99% of humanity, it's up to the survivers to survive against all odds. WARNING: This is another 1,000+ pager (If you haven't guessed, I love reading). Stephen King hits it out of the park once again with this apocalyptic thriller. This read isn't aimed toward children, as there is quite a bit of profanity and inappropriate scenery, but the plot is killer, pun absolutely intended. 4.5/5 Bookish Badges!                                                      
  4. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, by (drum roll, please...) J. K. Rowling: This book, 5th in the series which you will discover is quite popular on this blog, is a truly beautiful mound of magical deliciousness. For fans of the series, tell me in the comments what YOUR favorite book is. For those of you who haven't been introduced to Harry and his pals, take initiative and get your hands on a copy of The Philosopher's Stone. I'm not condoning threats, armed robbery, or more extreme things... But you all have to read this book. 5/5 Bookish Badges!                                              
  5. Elantris by Brandon Sanderson: This fantasy novel was Sanderson's debut, but you can't tell. The plot is unpredictable, and that's coming from me. I can usually tell where a book is headed. In the kingdom of Arelon, there lies a beautiful city: Elantris. The city of the gods -- or so it was... A strange incident occurred where all the citizens of Elantris were struck by a horrible disease known as the Reod. Then the Reod began ordinary people. Terrified by the afflicted, the people of Arelon chose to banish them to Elantris. With the sudden disappearance of the prince, and a possible invasion on the way, Arelenes are panicked, and it seems that one woman can save them... The wife of their prince. This novel is filled with politics, magic, mystery, and danger. Honestly, I would recommend any and all of Sanderson's books, but so far, this is my favorite. I'm going to break the rules and give it 6/5 Bookish Badges!!!
       This list is changing all the time. What is your favorite book? Let me know in the comments.

       If there's a book you'd like me to read and review, post it in the comments! I'll keep you posted on what I'm reading each week. Make sure to follow me on Google+!

       Allons-y!
       
       Phillip


P.S. How's my writing? I've never written for a blog before...


No comments:

Post a Comment